Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies.

Photobucket

It seems fitting that having abandoned this blog with cookies, that I should return to it with more cookies. However, these cookies were not the success that the snickerdoodles were. They seemed like they had it all going, and they probably do, and all the problems are human error, but I just didn't feel comfortable with this recipe. Putting it together was fine, it was the cooking process and the fact that it was a fiasco that has put me off these cookies. From this recipe I got three batches of twelve, and it wasn't until the last batch that I had finally got the cooking time down, and only by mistake. Intitally I wanted large, chewy cookies, but they didn't cook properly so I had to go down a size, which was fine I guess. Figuring out when they're cooked was initially difficult, because the dough is a golden brown to start with - finally I decided to pull the last batch out much earlier than the original recipe calls for, so that they were pretty much the same colour as when they went in. Poking the cookie straight out of the oven revealed a surprisingly firm cookie. It was weird. So thats how you know - they might be the same colour, but they'll be weirdly firm to the touch for a freshly baked cookie.

The cookies in question are derived from an Alton Brown recipe, which I was excited to try, because he's so cool, but I changed it up a little and went the browned-butter way (so inspired by Recipegirl) because if there is a browned-butter version, I can't say no. The raw dough was oh-my-god-delicious, the browned butter and the brown sugar giving it a little bit of spice flavour and if I make these again, I vow to eat more of it.

My verdict? Good, but not the chewy cookie I was looking forward.
Sister's verdict? Good, but not as good as the normal cookies (see here for said normal cookies). I have to agree with her.

Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies.

2 1/4 c flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
230 g butter, browned
1/4 c white sugar
1 1/4 c brown sugar, packed
1 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 1/2 c chocolate chips

1. In a saucepan, melt your butter on a medium heat, and stirring regularly, keep it on the heat until it's nicely browned. In a bowl, place the sugars.

Photobucket

Photobucket
See those little browned milk solids? You want them.

2. When the butter is browned, pour it over the sugars, making sure that you scoop out all the little browned milk solid bits and mix with an electrix mixer.

Photobucket

3. Add in your milk, eggs, and vanilla.

4. Add your dry ingredients and chocolate chips, and mix to form a dough, then place in the fridge to chill for ten to fifteen minutes.

Photobucket

Photobucket

5. Spoon mounds onto your cookie tray, and flatten slightly. The second time around I used a dessert-spoon measurement, and was much happier with the result. The cookies should not darken much at all, otherwise they will be overcooked and the based a bit hard.

Photobucket

6. Eat!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment