Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Poppy Seed Tarallini

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Look! Another post so soon after the other? Is the world coming to an end? No, but I found an awesome recipe; it is a simple, delicious bread-ish recipe that I just had to try. Because it's bread, and... Well. If I have a favourite savoury food, its crusty bread slathered in butter. And of course, now that I've typed that and put the idea in my head, there is nothing I want more than that, right now.

I should stop babbling about my food obsessions and get on with the information, I know. So here I go.

As evidenced in the title of this post, I made Tarallini, after spotting the recipe on my daily food-blog-athon. Man I'm glad I did. They are shockingly easy to make, and so deliciously satisfying, plus open to lots of flavour playing. I love anything that I can play around with, because I love a versitile recipe I can adapt to multiple situations. Tarallini are the smaller version of the Italian snack food, Taralli, which seems to be a rather intriguing cross between a cracker and a soft pretzel, while being bagel-esque at the same time. However, they are not boiled with soda or anything, just mildly salted water, nor do they contain yeast as a bagel requires. And even more thankfully, you do not have to bathe them in a solution of water and lye as you would a pretzel. Lye, people. That does not inspire me to make traditional pretzels any time soon. I naturally baulk at recipes that require I put on protective gloves and goggles, in order to prepare it. I think I'll just stick to tarallini, which are just as satisfying and much less dangerous. Which is a good thing when you're as prone to accidents as I am.

Tarallini

Ingredients:

250 g plain flour
1/4 c olive oil
100 mls white wine
1/2 tsp salt
Poppy seeds

Method:

1. Place the flour, salt and olive oil in a bowl and mix until well combined.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2. With your mixer on medium, slowly add in your wine until it forms a cohesive ball of dough.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

3. Kneed for at least five minutes until the dough becomes elastic.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

4.Set a pot of water to boil, and then divide your dough up into sixteen pieces. I found that it was easiest to cut it in half, then cut each half in half... and then continue that process until you have sixteen pieces.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

5. Shape your dough. I decided to go with simple and just make rings, which means I rolled them into a ball, then poked my finger through the middle, and then just stretched the dough a little.

6. Drop eight of the tarallini into the boiling water. When they float to the top, they are done and need to be removed from the water and put onto a teatowel so they may dry. Don't put them on paper towels, as they will stick to the tarallini.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

7. When everything is done, decorate them with the poppy seeds. I poured some into a little bowl, then dunked each tarallini into the poppy seeds so the got an even coating.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

8. Pop into 180 degree oven, until golden brown.

I ate mine with a generous slathering of cream cheese, and it was delicious.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment