Saturday, September 26, 2009

Jill's Sydney Square

Photobucket

This is something I sort of grew up with, once again. It's a recipe from my Godmother, who (along with her family) is a very close family friend. She's a great cook - though I never appreciated the yumminess she used to make as a child as much as I do now. However, I always loved this slice, even though it's full of coconut. I'm not a coconut fan, but... this. This is delicious, even with all that coconutty-stuck-in-your-teeth-ness.

And what is even better? It literally takes two minutes to whip up. There is no creaming of this or that, and you don't even have to be overly accurate with the measurements (though of course it helps). I don't have much to say about this, except that it's quite delicious, waaaay too easy to make, and perfect if you have unexpected people drop by. That's why mum asked me to make some on thursday... and now (now being Saturday), it's all gone. So I'll have to make some more! I'll admit that I did sort of break my non-chocolate diet more than a time or two for this. But who could blame me?

Jill's Sydney Square
125 g butter
2tbsp cocoa
1/2 c sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 c desicated coconut
1 c cornflakes
1 c flour

1. Melt your butter, then mix in the sugar. Step one is complete.

2. Add in everything else and give it a stir until everything is nicely combined and the mixture forms damp clumps... like the picture below will show you.

Photobucket

3. Pour it into a 20cm square baking tin and press down hard. You don't want any loose bits, otherwise it will be crumbly when baked up, and difficult to eat.

Photobucket

4. Bake for eighteen minutes in a 180 degree celcius oven. Remove from oven and let cool for ten minutes. While it is cooling, make your icing!

Basic Chocolate Icing

2 c icing sugar
1/4 c cocoa powder
1 tsp butter
1/8 c hot water

1. In a bowl, melt the butter in the water.

2. Add the icing sugar and cocoa in and mix until smooth and well combined. You may need to add more icing sugar or water in, depending on the texture. You want it to be thick and slightly runny.

3. Pour over the still warm slice and let sit for twenty minutes before attempting to cut. Or, you could be my family and just hack away at it.

Photobucket
Doesn't that look awesomely delicious?

Photobucket
Attack of the family.


Yummy-ness.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment