Friday, April 23, 2010

ANZAC Biscuits

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This post is a little more serious than usual, because I intend to make ANZAC biscuits. And with those comes the inevitable subject matter of the First World War (WWI). I’m not going to give you a history lesson, mostly because I can’t be bothered and also because most of you that read this already know the details. But for Australians and New Zealanders, this time of the year is weird. For New Zealand, definitely, in this day and age it’s so difficult to reconcile so many deaths with an argument that wasn’t our own, and I can’t help but think of what it may seem like to those multicultural members of New Zealand’s society. Because really, we’re not simply former English colonists now. And yet, whilst I don’t quite understand the motivation, I can’t help but respect and admire those men who did go off to war, and especially those who did not make it back. It makes me think though, about the kind of recognition they get here. Celebrations in New Zealand are so low key – there are quiet, simple dawn parades, and each family remembers their own hero in their own way. The contrast is so striking when compared to things like the American Memorial Day. I like what we do, but you’ve got to wonder if maybe we should do something bigger? I have noticed in the last few years, the trend seems to be heading that way.

That was a bit heavier than I intended. All for an introduction to a very simple biscuit! I’ve made ANZAC biscuits tonnes of times, and really, you can’t beat ‘em. I’m not a fan of oats (much too healthy for my liking), or coconut, but something about these biscuits makes me love them. Incidentally, this is my ANZAC celebration. I don’t really have any family members that I know of who fought in the war, but I’m sure there were some. So this is my way of saying, I-know-you-existed once-upon-a-time-and-hey?-thanks. Also, dipping the bottoms of these in melted chocolate is awesome, so if you want to do that, I’m sure your ancestors would approve. Because people loved chocolate way back then, too. These biscuits are also great with icecream and a bit of caramel sauce. What? Just giving you ideas here, people.

ANZAC Biscuits

Ingredients

1 Cup plain flour
1 Cup sugar
1 Cup rolled oats
1 Cup fine coconut
125g butter or margarine
2 Tbsp golden syrup
2 Tbsp boiling water
1 tsp baking soda

Method

1. Drag yourself into the kitchen. Realise you have no butter. Bitch loudly and leave the house to get some.

2. Return with the butter, still bitching.

3. Measure out your dry ingredients (minus the baking soda) and chuck them into the pretty blue mixing bowl you happened to buy when you were getting the butter.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

4. In a separate bowl, mix together the melted butter, hot water and golden syrup (I find it’s easier to dissolve the golden syrup in the hot water first), and then finally add the baking soda. Watch it do awesome stuff.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

5. Mix the two sets of ingredients together and then eat all the mixture before you cook it. Or not, but you could, because ANZAC mixture is sooo good. Mmm. Also chase your father out of the kitchen with a knife.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

6. If you decide not to eat all the mixture, roll it into balls and then squish them out onto your baking tray, but leave a lot of space between the biscuits as they will spread. Thanks to a lovely friend, I have been reminded that I actually forgot to put a cooking temperature and time. Sorry. So.. 180 degrees celcius until very golden.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

7. Eat. Chase your father away again. You may use two knives this time.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I don’t want to be cheesy, but I kinda want to say thanks to anybody who fought in a war and stood up for what they believed in. Pretend these biscuits are for you. I am now over being patriotic – see, it doesn’t last for long. I’m also not very good at it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment