Saturday, April 17, 2010

Strawberry Milkshake White Chocolate Chip Cookies

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I’m not a big fan of strawberry; I am obviously much more of a chocolate fan (and I also love semicolons). But when I saw this recipe I just had to try it, and then pass the link onto as many people as possible. I think it may have had something to do with the pastel pink colour; so kitsch and cute. Adore! What? I could totally live in a fifties kitchen. They had dishwashers back then. Sort of. It also helped that nesquik is on special at the supermarket this week; because it’s not really something that I keep in my cupboard. I generally prefer stronger, real flavours. However, if a recipe really takes my fancy, I will (on occasion), use some sort of highly processed something that is no doubt going to preserve my organs and shorten my life.

Strawberry Milkshake White Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients


250g butter
½ c Nesquik strawberry flavour (I didn't think this was enough - you may want to increase it)
¾ brown sugar
2 eggs
2 – 4 drop red food colouring (I used two – but next time I’d use four)
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 ½ c flour
1 tsp baking soda
8 ounces white chocolate drops.



Method

1. In a big bowl, put your room temperature butter, then the nesquik and brown sugar. Then beat them! With a stick! Actually, beaters of the electric variety would probably work better. For a few minutes, at least, until the mixture is nice and fluffy.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2. Add the eggs and a few drops of red food colours – BE CAREFUL. Food colouring has a mind of its own and is determined to all fly out of the bottle at once. You do not want radioactive red cookies. Kthnxbye.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

3. Flour next. Oh, and the vanilla and baking soda, I guess they’re important too. Beat them too. Like they came home drunk and had slept with your best friend, that whore. What? I like stories.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

4. Finally, add in the chocolate. The original recipe called for ten ounces, but I am not a fan of more chocolate than cookie, so I took it down to eight ounces, which also happened to be the entire contents of the bag I had bought. Obviously it was meant to be. You can add more, if you like.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

On a side note, I left the beater attachments unattended, with the intention of using them to mix in my chocolate pieces. HOWEVER, before I could, my father came along and licked all the mixture off. Then he refused to clean them up, so not only did he inconvenience me, he made more work for me! So unimpressed.

5. Spoon them out to whatever size you like and into the oven at 180 degrees celcius. I rolled mine, just because that is what I’m used to, and I like my biscuits to be tidy. Perfectionist? Of course not. I also prefer mine smaller.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Apparently mine look nothing like the original! Ha, but they are pretty, and less pink (so you might want to add one or two extra drops of red food colours back up on step two). Yummy too. My mother and father both demanded a couple straight out of the oven – and the dog even got in on the action! However, I do find that the strawberry is a bit of an afterthought. It’s there, but only just. If I was to make this recipe again, and I probably won’t because the finished product didn’t make a big enough impact on me, I would go so far as to double the strawberry factor. In future, I’ll stick to just drinking strawberry milk. The cookie texture is great though – nice and light, and with just the right amount of chocolate (if I do say so myself!). The white chocolate definitely suits the delicate flavour profile of the cookie. What the hell? I think it’s time to stop watching the food network.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment